Post pregnancy diet
Post pregnancy diet is a very important thing for you. During delivery and after delivery a lot of things happen to your body, such as-
- Blood loss during delivery
- The baby feeds from your body after the delivery
- Hormonal changes after the delivery
So, to recover the loss, to provide the nutrition to your baby, you need adequate nutrition, rest.
Why you need a proper diet after delivery?
- A breastfeeding mother needs about extra 500 kcal, that’s a total of 2000 to 2500 kcal per day.
- After a delivery a mother should take at least 71 grams of extra protein. A mother can take more dairy products as it provides not only protein but also adequate calcium to the mother.
- To recover from the stressful delivery and to provide energy to the baby a mother should take adequate amount of carbohydrates, as they are the quickest source of energy during this period.
Best post pregnancy diet
To recover the loss during delivery and to keep your body fit during lactation period you have to take a balanced diet.
- Complex carbohydrate which is present in whole grains like brown rice, barley, oatmeal etc
- Fats are a very important part of diet, you should be careful about taking right kind of fats. Fish containing omega 3 fatty acids, should be taken, which will boost the development of brain of your baby.
- You should take a lot of vegetables and fruits. Vegetables will help you to get required vitamins and fibers. Fibers will keep the digestive system healthy. And the fruits will provide you the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- To escape the dehydration and constipation you should take a lot of fluid. Drink at least eight to ten glass of water daily. Drinking lots of fluids is important to escape dehydration and constipation. Consume at least eight to ten glasses of water. Also take other liquid foods such as coconut water, fresh fruit juices etc.
“Do not try to lose your weight just after delivery. Aim for a slow and steady weight loss. If you try to narrow your diet to lose the weight, that will harm your milk production for the baby.”
Try to minimize your exposure to insecticides, pesticides or other chemicals. For this you should-
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly before cooking,
- Wash the fruits before eating, if possible peel the fruits
what not to eat after delivery
There are some foods which you should avoid after delivery
- Processed and packaged meats
- Salted chips
- Sugary biscuits
- Ready to make meals
- Fast foods and junk foods
- Sugary drinks
- Spicy food
Along with all post pregnancy diet, you should take some medications, such as calcium, iron etc. A balanced diet will not only ensures your recovery but also help your baby for proper development.
Let’s get social
Other Helpful Articles